BLUE ZEBRA INSURANCE PTY LTD (ABN 12 622 465 838)
Blue Zebra Insurance Pty Ltd (ABN 12 622 465 838) (“BZI”) is an Australian Financial Services Licensee (AFSL No. 504130) regulated by the Australian Security and Investments Commission (“ASIC”).
- Protecting your privacy
'Personal Information' means any information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether or not the information or opinion is true, and whether or not it is recorded in a material form.
'Sensitive Information' means a subset of Personal Information, which may need to be afforded a higher level of protection. Sensitive Information is defined more specifically in the Privacy Act, including, amongst other things, health information, criminal history and sexual orientation.
- Australian privacy principles
The APPs regulate the way that companies collect, use, secure and disclose personal information under the Privacy Act. Information containing anything that can be used to identify a person, inclusive of their name, address, telephone number, age, previous and current insurance experience is deemed to be ‘personal information’ within the Privacy Act.
The APPs are designed specifically to ensure the responsible collection, storage and handling of personal information by companies. They also provide people with the right to know what personal information is currently being held about them and a right to correct that information if it is inaccurate. Lastly, the APPs have been designed to ensure that companies do not disclose personal information, without a person’s prior consent.
- Who is Blue Zebra Insurance?
Blue Zebra Insurance arranges insurance products and services as agent to insurers via brokers and intermediaries. We issue insurance quotations and policies, and assess claims made on insurance policies we have issued.
- Why do we collect, use or disclose your Personal Information?
We collect, use and disclose your Personal Information only as required to carry out the operations and functions of our business. This includes the following:
- to provide insurance products and services;
- to administer any policies we have issued to you including to;
- assess risks;
- assess claims;
- pay claims and seek recoveries;
- deal with third party service providers (such as assessors) or witnesses; and
- deal with complaints and disputes
- internally to help us improve our services, resolve any problems or to meet our legal and regulatory obligations;
- to assist in providing broker's customers, potential customers and others with our products and services;
- to help us develop and identify products and services that may interest brokers, their customers, potential customers or others; and
- where we are required or authorised to do so by law.
We make use of Insurance Reference Services Limited (IRS) Database. IRS is a member-based organisation supporting Australian general insurance company members with understanding policy holder claims history, for the purpose of supporting claims management, claims investigation, loss assessment, fraud detection and risk underwriting. We may collect personal information from IRS for these purposes by accessing the IRS Database.
We may also disclose your personal information, including claim and/or policy information, to IRS and this information is then accessible to other IRS members and participants via the IRS Database. The IRS Database may be used by members and participants for a number of authorised purposes such as providing insurance services, including carrying out underwriting processes and issuing an insurance policy, dealing with claims and/or detection of fraud or other unlawful activities in accordance with the objectives of IRS.
- What Personal Information do we collect and hold?
To carry out the operations and functions of our business, we collect a broad range of Personal Information. This is most often so that we can issue an insurance quotation or a policy, or assess a claim made on an insurance policy that we have issued.
The Personal Information we collect and hold includes your name and contact details, gender, other reference information including your claims history, occupation, assets & liabilities, as well as information relating to the insured risk (for example, a house or car). As required, we will also collect and hold financial information and records including credit card details.
From time to time, we may also need to collect Sensitive Information about you, including your criminal record, your membership with a professional association, any medical conditions or health information required to assess personal injury.
- Who do we collect Personal Information from?
We collect Personal Information in a number of ways depending on the nature of the insurance products and services being provided and administered and our relationship with you. The way we collect information includes:
- directly from you by telephone, mail, email or via our website portal;
- from your insurance broker, other representatives (such as legal advisers or your family members) or other policyholders;
- through any insurance related portal; and from insurers and reinsurers of the relevant policy.
- We may also indirectly collect Personal Information from publicly available third party sources.
- To whom do we disclose Personal Information?
We disclose Personal Information as necessary to carry out the operations and functions of the business, which depends on the nature of the insurance products and services being provided and administered. This includes disclosure to:
- your insurance broker, other representatives (such as legal advisers or your family members) or other policyholders;
- insurers and reinsurers of the relevant policy;
- claims administrators who manage claims and people involved in investigation of claims on behalf of Blue Zebra;
- witnesses and medical practitioners;
- our agents and service providers;
- external dispute resolution bodies, such as the Australian Financial Complaints Authority.
To the extent that we are required to by any law or regulation, we may need to disclose Personal Information to, or on instruction of, regulators, courts and tribunals.
Personal Information may also be disclosed to prospective purchasers and their advisers in the event of an actual or proposed sale to a third party of Blue Zebra or its business, or the proposed or actual transfer from, or replacement of, a current provider of your insurance cover to a new insurance provider. We will take reasonable steps to have prospective purchasers and their advisers agree to confidentiality and non-disclosure terms in relation to any Personal Information that may be disclosed.
- How do we hold and protect your Personal Information?
We hold the Personal Information we collect from you in electronic form in our internal document management systems. Personal Information regarding insurance policies may also be held by the underwriter of your insurance product. BZI hosts our IT and data storage infrastructure with reputable third party organisations that are bound by contractual arrangements to safeguard privacy of information.
We strive to maintain the relevance, accuracy and currency of the Personal Information we hold. We aim to record information in a consistent format, where necessary confirm the accuracy of information we collect from third parties or public sources and review the quality of Personal Information before we use or disclose it.
We also maintain reasonable safeguards to protect the privacy and security of Personal Information. We have reasonable security measures in place to secure the electronically held Personal Information. This includes firewalls, protection against malware and secure logon procedures.
We keep Personal Information only for as long as is reasonably necessary for the purpose for which it was collected and to comply with any applicable legal or regulatory reporting or document retention requirements.
We will make reasonable efforts to destroy or de-identify your Personal Information after this time in accordance with law and our record management policy and procedures.
- Who might we disclose your Personal Information to internationally?
We will only disclose the Personal Information we collect from you to locations outside Australia to provide information to our third party service providers. Our third party service providers perform various tasks both inside and outside of Australia, including (but not limited to) delivering BZI claims service and technology development.
They are located across in various locations, including, but not limited to:
- United States;
- South Africa;
- New Zealand; and
- United Kingdom.
- How can you access and amend the information we are holding?
Under certain circumstances, you can seek to access and amend the information we are holding. Upon receipt of your authorised request, we will disclose to you the Personal Information we hold about you. We will also correct, amend or delete any Personal Information that is inaccurate, irrelevant, out of date or incomplete.
If you wish to access or correct your Personal Information, please write email@example.com.
In some limited cases, we may need to refuse access to your Personal Information under the grounds permitted by the Privacy Act. We will advise you as soon as possible after we receive your request if this is the case and the reasons for our refusal. There may be some cost to you to cover the cost of retrieving and processing the information. We may also require you to formally prove that you are the individual to whom we hold the Personal Information upon.
- Residents in the European Union
Where applicable, residents in the European Union have the following additional rights in relation to your personal information:
- You have the right to obtain information from us as to whether your personal information is being used, and if so, for what purpose, free of charge.
- You have the right to request we delete your personal information in certain circumstances, including where the information is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected, or you withdraw consent and there is no other legal ground for processing the personal information.
- You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information, where the legal justification for the processing of the information is a legitimate business interest or for direct marketing.
- You have the right to receive a copy of your personal information we hold in a structured, electronic format, and to transmit such data to another data controller, where this is (a) personal information which you have provided to us, (b) if we are processing that information on the basis of your consent or to perform a contract with you and (c) where the processing is carried out by automated means.
- You have the right to request the rectification of inaccurate or incomplete personal information from us without undue delay.
- You have the right to restrict the processing of your personal information by us where you contest the accuracy of your personal information. The restriction may be temporary to enable BZI to verify the accuracy of your personal information.
- What happens if you have any concerns?
If you have any concerns or wish to make a complaint about how we have treated your Personal Information, or whether we have complied with the Privacy Act, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will consider your complaint through our internal complaints resolution process and will endeavour to respond with a decision within 14 days of you making the complaint.
If, however, you feel that your complaint has not been resolved, then you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on the details below:
Post: GPO Box 5218 SYDNEY NSW 2001
Phone: 1300 363 992
- How do you contact us?
We welcome your questions and comments about privacy.
If you have any query or require any information about your Personal Information, please contact email@example.com and we will respond to you as soon as reasonably possible.
- Version and date of this Policy